"idolizing" the positive
—— 高中进阶 (第1期) ·1版
earlier this year, a fan of taylor swift broke into her new york apartment, took a shower and fell asleep on one of her beds. fortunately, swift wasn't at home and police were able to arrest the man without incident (平静地).
charlie puth recalls a time when he took an uber (优步) taxi for a journey that ended in a wild ride. the uber driver was a super-fan of puth and that severely affected his driving. as he puts it, "it just went downhill from there"— so much so that while swerving (急转弯) between traffic, he hit another car, totaling (彻底毁坏) his vehicle and requiring puth to climb out through the top of the car.
yes, in just a few minutes, a fan can go from just a normal person to someone who isn't acting right. being around someone we admire can have us acting strangely. in my case, it was with musicians i liked. i always admire my "idols" for their artistic abilities, achievements and who they are as people — people who are changing the world for the better in ways big and small. but i have to admit that when i met a celebrity, i often couldn't help acting a bit excitedly.
an experimental study of "idol worship" was conducted in 2005 in hong kong and shenzhen. its conclusions suggest that idol worship is not always a bad thing — if the things we worship are "positive." by looking at idols as role models of achievement, instead of simply at the glitz (浮华) and glamor of their lifestyles, students can be inspired to work harder for their own success. one recent notable example is hu jianghua, a postgraduate student in zhejiang who acknowledged in a paper the "powerful spiritual support" that the singer jj lin (林俊杰) has given her. on sina weibo, hu explained that lin's dedication to music has greatly inspired her. as a way to show her gratitude to the singer, she added, she would dedicate herself to academic studies.
by contrast, if we "worship" our idols for the wrong reasons, we might end up looking at them as perfect people. we might compare ourselves with our idols and find ourselves hopeless. instead of saying, "look at what they have accomplished! maybe i can do that too!" we say, "look at what i didn't do! i could never accomplish that!"
positive inspiration can have some powerful results. negative, not so much. when we worship our idols, let's make sure we are doing it for the right reasons. and, by working hard on our own success, we make ourselves into role models for others. that is the best kind of idol to have.
1. do you have any idols? if so, who are they? what do they do? why do you idolize them? what have you learned from them?
2. in the "acknowledgements" section of a paper, hu jianghua, a medical student in zhejiang, expressed her gratitude for the inspiration that her idol jj lin's songs have given her. how did you feel when you heard the news? do you support hu's decision?
1. as he puts1 it, “...” — so much so that2 while swerving between traffic, he hit another car, totaling his vehicle and requiring puth to climb out through the top of the car.
1 此处put意为“说，表达”（to express or state sth. in a particular way）。一个相关的常见短语是simply put, ... （意为“简单地说，……”）。
2 so much so是一个常见的固定词组，相当于to such a degree that。第一个so是副词，修饰much的程度；第二个so是代词。that是连词，连接一个句子。此处跟的句子是he hit another car；while引出的是一个时间状语，totaling ... and requiring ...则充当伴随状语。
2. but i have to admit that when i met a celebrity, i often couldn't help acting a bit excitedly.
1 admit解释为“承认”时，有两个较为常见的句式，一个就是这里的admit (to sb.) that ...。另一个是admit (to sb.) doing sth.，如：he is unwilling to admit being jealous of his brother. (=he is unwilling to admit that he is jealous of his brother.)。
2 can't help doing sth.相当于can't help but do sth.，意思是“忍不住做某事”，“不可能避免做某事”。
3. as a way to show her gratitude to the singer, she added, she would dedicate herself to academic studies.
1 名词gratitude后常用的有两个介词。一个是to，用于gratitude to sb.；另一个是for，用于gratitude for sth.。注意勿将两种结构混淆。
2 固定用法dedicate oneself/one's life to sth./doing sth.。其中，to是介词，后面如果跟动词，要用动词的-ing形式，不可以用不定式。
complete each sentence using one word from the box in its correct form. note that there is one word more than you need and you can use each word only once.
idolize acknowledge recall worship glamor dedication
1. in his speech, he ______________ the help his parents gave him at the start of his career.
2. actress marlene dietrich was once the ultimate symbol of __________ and elegance.
3. we appreciate your _____________ to our administration and your help at a time when needed.
4. in the late seventies, when ian was starting out as a pro, he ___________ watson.
5. as he later _____________, it was a damp, cold day.
1. acknowledged 2. glamor 3. dedication
4. idolized 5. recalled
1. 我昨天很忙，忙得直到凌晨2点才上床睡觉。 (so)
2. 那是他第一次参加面试，没法不感到紧张。 (help)
3. 地铁太挤了，所以我们最后还是乘出租车去了那里。(end v.)
1. i was very busy yesterday, so much so that i didn't go to bed until 2 a.m.
2. it was his first time to attend an interview, so he couldn't help feeling nervous.
或it was his first time to attend an interview, so he couldn't help but feel nervous.
或it was the first time he had attended an interview, so he couldn't help feeling nervous.
或it was the first time he had attended an interview, so he couldn't help but feel nervous.
3. the metro was too crowded, so we ended up taking a taxi there.
4. will you admit that you broke the window?
或will you admit having broken the window?
choose the best answer.
1. the author mentioned the stories of taylor swift's and charlie puth's fans to illustrate that ____.
a. we might feel nervous and become crazy when driving for our idol
b. being around someone we admire can have us acting strangely
c. students can be inspired to work harder by looking at their idols as role models of achievements
d. making ourselves into role models for others is the best kind of idol to have
2. which of the following statements can be inferred from the article?
a. the author is a fan of charlie puth.
b. hu jianghua has never met jj lin in person.
c. jj lin works hard in pursuing his music career.
d. the 2005 study of "idol worship" included students from across china.
3. by writing this article, the author mainly wants to ____.
a. advise us to draw inspiration from the achievements of our idols
b. criticize the man who broke into taylor swift's new york apartment
c. praise hu jianghua for drawing inspiration from jj lin's songs
d. analyze why we will feel hopeless after comparing ourselves with our idols
a question for further discussion:
what do you think the "right reasons" for us to "worship" our idols are?
i agree with the author that we should admire our idols for their achievements, instead of their daily life and all sorts of gossip about them. some of my classmates are crazy about their idols. i remember one of them even skipped classes because he wanted to see his idol off at the airport! in my opinion, that is completely a waste of time and youth. if we can focus on our idol's achievements and realize that they also have to work hard to succeed, we will be inspired to work harder in our studies, too.